Prepare Your Boat for Winter
It’s that time of year again where it is important to begin thinking about preparing your boat for winter!
Winterization is important because it protects your boat from the harsh conditions of the season, such as strong winds, low temperatures, and snow. By setting aside the time to winterize, you are protecting your favorite investment – your boat!
There are many steps to the winterization process and the more technical preparations are best tackled by consulting a qualified boat mechanic. Below is an abbreviated list of some of the steps that should be taken to prepare your boat for winter.
- Verify that all your lights and switches are working, even those on the trailer. You don’t want to be bothered with a blown light come springtime.
- Change the oil and filters on all engines and fog the engines.
- Fill your gas tank and add gas stabilizers. Next, run your engine for 15 minutes to ensure that the additives reach the gas in your fuel lines.
- Go through each storage compartment and remove anything that is no longer needed or liquid.
- Place stern drives in the full down position
- Remove the battery and store it in a dry place
- Remove everything from your cooler, refrigerator, ice maker, etc. Clean these thoroughly!
- Dispose of all food to keep the pests away!
- Drain your porta potti and fresh water system. Then add freshwater antifreeze to the water tank and porta potti.
- Place a dehumidifier or mildew control bags throughout the cabin and in compartments to prevent mildew.
- Store your boat in a temperature controlled facility or shrink wrap your boat.
Overwhelmed by the list above? Don’t worry – Sunrise Marine is here to help! We offer winterization services, including engine service and boat shrink wrapping. To set up an appointment, visit our website at www.destinsunrisemarine.com or call us at 850-243-0414.